Italian football authorities are considering the possibility of allowing fans into stadiums starting next month.
The Italian league is set to resume on June 20 with no spectators allowed. There are also strict rules limiting the number of people in the stadium to 300. That includes both teams, staff and journalists.
Italian media are reporting that the soccer federation could discuss the possibility of increasing that number and permitting a vastly reduced number of fans.
Federation president Gabriele Gravina says “it’s something I really wish for with all my heart.”
Gravina says “it’s unthinkable that in a stadium that can hold 60,000 there’s not space for a small percentage of fans with the necessary precautions.”
Coppa Italia final to be played before Serie A restart
The Italian football season will resume with the final stages of the Coppa Italia knockout cup before Serie A gets under way on June 20, following a vote by the 20 top-tier clubs on Friday.
Serie A said in a statement that the “the sporting activity of the 2019/2020 season will resume firstly with the Coppa Italia” with the final to be played on June 17.
It did not give a date for the semi-final second leg matches, Napoli-Inter Milan and Juventus-AC Milan, which also have to be played. The season was suspended on March 9 as the coronavirus spread through Italy.
Serie A said that the decision followed a recommendation from Sports Minister Vincenzo Spadafora, who confirmed on Thursday that the season could resume following the coronavirus stoppage.
Milan president Paolo Scaroni had earlier said his club was opposed to restarting with the Coppa.