UEFA confident of holding Champions League final in Portugal: No reason to have plan B for the moment

UEFA said earlier this month that this season’s Champions League, suspended in March because of the COVID-19 pandemic, would be completed with an eight-team mini-tournament in Lisbon from Aug. 12-23.

Reuters Photo

UEFA currently sees no need for a plan B for the Champions League final tournament due to be held in Lisbon, despite several suburbs of the Portuguese capital preparing to go back into lockdown as coronavirus cases surge again.

“UEFA is in permanent contact with the Portuguese Football Association and the local authorities,” the governing body told French sports daily L’Equipe.

“We hope that everything will go well and that it will be possible to organise the tournament in Portugal. For the moment there is no reason to have a plan B.

“We’re monitoring the situation on a daily basis and we’ll adapt if we have to.”

UEFA said earlier this month that this season’s Champions League, suspended in March because of the COVID-19 pandemic, would be completed with an eight-team mini-tournament in Lisbon from Aug. 12-23.

Last Thursday, the Portuguese government said that those living in the affected areas of the capital – 19 parishes not including downtown Lisbon – would be allowed to leave home only to buy essential goods or to travel to and from work.

The measure will be in place July 1-14 and will then be reviewed.

IndiaToday.in has plenty of useful resources that can help you better understand the coronavirus pandemic and protect yourself. Read our comprehensive guide (with information on how the virus spreads, precautions and symptoms), watch an expert debunk myths, and access our dedicated coronavirus page.
Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from

  • Andriod App
  • IOS App

Related posts

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *